Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Veggie in Copenhagen

You know, I couldn't visit Copenhagen without checking out at least 1 out of the 3 vegetarian restaurants listed in my Lonely Planet guide book! With just a short time to explore the city before heading to our next destination, my friends and I set our sights on visiting the magical Christiania. A hippie commune founded in the 1970's, Christiania was the perfect place to enjoy a delicious, home-style, vegetarian meal.


Morgenstedet (translation: The Morning Place) is a cozy vegan restaurant tucked away behind the colorful walls of Christiania. Morgenstedet serves just one meal option per day, along with various side items, salads and soup. The day we visited they had this hearty vegetable curry with brown rice. Simple, yet so flavorful, we enjoyed every bite! I even picked up their local vegetarian magazine, although I would need lots of help translating it...


The Danes eat quite a bit of meat, dairy and fish, yet fresh fruit and vegetables were abundant. It is also customary to bake your own bread, so I took the opportunity to indulge in some of the wonderful whole grains, usually smeared with homemade preserves or avocado. YUM! On my next trip to Copenhagen, I plan to visit their raw, vegan spot 42 Raw, it sounds amazing.There is also one in London, anyone been?


No comments: