Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Long Live The Bob

1920's hair mags

Louise Brooks

Peggy Moffit

Catherine Zeta Jones in Chicago

Salt n Pepa

Linda Evangelista

Perhaps one of the most classic and relevant hairstyles in history, the bob became all the rage in the 1920's and hasn't left the scene since. The hairstyle caused a revolution when women began cropping their long locks out of convenience and a new-found independence. As they joined the work force, women of the 1920's felt empowered to claim their equality to men on every level. Along with donning short hairstyles, they wore shapeless dresses, smoked cigarettes openly and enjoyed a sense of freedom like never before.
In addition to the classic style and the clean lines of the bob, I suppose the history is a big part of my affinity for it. Although it never really goes out of style, we have seen a resurgence of the bob in the 60's, 80's and again in the past few years with Victoria Beckham, Katie Holmes and Rihanna. I have been rockin' some version of the style for the past year or so and still loving it. If you're feelin' a bob too, I strongly suggest you see my stylist Jemma Muradian at Arte Salon! She is amazing and cuts with precision and flair (check out mine, upper left corner ;)
http://artesalon.com/
212.941.5932

1 comment:

Love Tasha West said...

Hot..I could use one of those myself someday!!!