Monday, March 2, 2009

7 Questions for Honey






I have had the pleasure of working alongside the fabulous Honey, manicurist to celebrities, supermodels and fashionistas alike. Not only is she super talented and sweet, but one of the most down-to-earth artists you will meet in this industry. Especially considering she works with the "creme de la creme" of high fashion photographers and designers on the regular! Fame and fortune has not gone to her head and you can actually still reach her for a mani-pedi. When we worked together last week, she received several calls for "Minx" nails, which has become one of the most requested trends. But book your appointments in advance, this is one busy lady! Read on!

R: How did you get your start in the industry?
H: I was working at a nail salon in the East Village and the owner was a friend of photographer Steven Klein. He asked me to do nails for a D Squared shoot, featuring Naomi Campbell. The rest is history, that was all she "nailed"!

R: What is your favorite aspect of what you do?
H: Making people happy. I love to experience the "feel good" when the nails look beautiful and the client calls me to say, "I need my Honey-fix!" I also get a rush when I'm painting a freehand design and create a unique yet signature piece of art.

R: What inspires your work?
H: I'm really open minded, I do alot of research on everything from abstract art and beauty trends, to textile design. Being a product-junkie, I love going to nail trade shows to see what's up and coming, or visiting the art supply store, Pearl Paint. Simplicity is also fabulous when it comes to nails.

R: How would describe your signature style?
H: A bit eclectic, things don't have to match. I like anything unusual, unique and outside of the box. My personal trademark is big, red hair!

R: What is your dream job at the moment?
H: I would love for the client to say "Knock yourself out Honey, do YOU!" But seriously, I soooo need a work/vacation right about now!

R: What are your top beauty tips?
H: Oil, oil, oil! Hydrate your nails with vitamin E and/or Solar Oil. Keep a little bottle by your bed, so when you look at it, you will remember to put it on. Don't use mineral oil, as it does nothing but give a temporary shine. Also find a good hand cream that does not have alcohol or paraben, as it will last much longer on the skin.

R: Where can we reach you for more information on your services?
H: For appointments, you can call me at 212.920.1066 or email me at honeynailz@gmail.com. I am currently working out of the DeLux Gallery at 704 Fulton Street, in Ft. Greene, Brooklyn.

Honey's client list includes; Charlize Theron, Beyonce, Mariah Carey, Dolce & Gabbana, Kate Spade, BCBG, Vogue, Numero, Muse, W magazine and countless others. Hit her up for a bangin' mani-pedi while you still can, ladies! 

No comments: