Saturday, February 28, 2009

Airbrush Love Part I




As some of you may know, I'm an airbrush makeup artist and instructor with Kett Cosmetics. I was first introduced to Kett through word-of-mouth, since both myself and makeup artist/creator Sheila McKenna had mutual acquaintances. Sheila was a trainer for M.A.C. and I also worked for the company, so when I got wind that she was creating her own airbrush line, I was impressed and inspired. Years later, I am thrilled to say that I work with Kett's exclusive team of airbrush artists and educators.

Given the advanced state of our technology, airbrushing makeup has emerged as a superior technique for high definition and digital mediums. It allows you to apply sheer veils of coverage to the skin, building diffused opacity where needed, with precision and efficiency. Because you can use the same product to both even out skin tone and conceal imperfections, the color match is perfect and texture is minimized. Airbrushing is especially amazing for any type of camouflaging since you are not actually touching the skin, putting the time-consuming method of stippling concealer out of business. I officially became a fan when I began airbrushing my own face every day and achieved the most flawless finish ever. 

Not only is the technique relevant for creating beautiful, high def-friendly skin, but it's fantastic for adding subtle to dramatic contouring, special effects and crisp designs to your makeup in minutes. As you can see from these images, I was able to accomplish both natural beauty and avante-garde looks. Based on color theory, Kett's Hydro (water-based) and HydroProof (waterproof) foundations feature a full range of skin-tone shades, the primary colors, black and white. Kett's diverse line of products are used by the industry's leading makeup artists on countless film, television, theatre and photo productions worldwide. 

While airbrushing largely remains a professional method, I wouldn't be surprised if it catches on with all makeup-lovers sometime in the future. For now, non-pro's can get the HD-finish alternative with Kett's Hydro and Fixx Creme, which can also be applied with a brush, sponge or fingertips. To my industry peers, I strongly encourage you to experiment with this invaluable tool, it's guaranteed to take your artistry to the next level. Comprehensive classes are currently offered in Ketts' New York Studio twice a month and worldwide by special arrangement. 

Stay tuned for more on airbrushing!

For more information, please visit www.kettcosmetics .com

Photos by Wendy Hope

No comments: