Saturday, January 31, 2009

Love for Murakami






Last spring, the Brooklyn Museum presented an exhibition of the acclaimed Japanese artist, Takashi Murakami. My friend/photographer Wendy Hope suggested we shoot a beauty story inspired by his colorful, graphic imagery. At the same time, my father was in town visiting, so we agreed to incorporate it into our plans. After a satisfying brunch at Beast, in Prospect Heights, Daddio and I walked over to the museum and took in the intoxicating buzz of Murakami. We were struck by the grand imagination and explosive energy of this artist. His range includes painting, sculpture and commercial goods (such as the fabulous Louis Vuitton bags) and is characterized by anime and manga (comic book) inspired graphics. Bizarre mushrooms, bubbles, and tons of eyeballs are featured throughout, and from this I drew much inspiration for the upcoming shoot. Dad was equally amused!

For our shoot, a circular feel was decided on for both makeup and hair, as this was a major theme in Murakami's work. I carefully hand-painted the designs on model Kai Li's face and hair stylist Lacy Redway fabricated amazing hair wheels and buns in various sizes. To create the designs, I used Make Up For Ever's Flash Color, a palette containing opaque greasepaints in several shades. Kai Li has fabulous skin, so I just used a bit of Kett Fixx Creme and she was absolutely flawless! I enjoyed the detailed painting so much and hoped to channel our muse; I think all the elements came together quite beautifully. Wendy captured our avante garde creations and the graceful movements of Kai Li in a fun, fearless way I hope Murakami would appreciate.
The Australian magazine, Highlights has published the story in their winter 2009 issue.

Thanks to the team for making the vision pop!

Photo by Wendy Hope @ www.wendyhopephotography.com
Model, Kai Li @ apm model management
Hair by Lacy Redway @ www.lacyredway.com
Nails by Stacy E. Welch @ www.stacyewelch.com

1 comment:

T Zornow said...

Love these pics!!! They are really amazing. Murakami has asmall exhibit here, I think I'm gonna go to!